Monday, June 13, 2011

Three Sisters: Part 1

Last Fall, I was introduced to the Three Sisters Garden by a random stranger, who came by to check out my Senior Engineering design project (I will probably post about that at some point too, but not this time). So, I am giving it a try this Spring. We have had cold weather and snow all through April, so I didn't get started until May. The weather has remained unseasonably cold, well into June. Rainy as well, we are nearing 400% of normal precipitation, I think. Upside: lower than usual Power bill, downside: Slow garden and extra weeding to be done.

So, if you took the time to review the above link, you will have a good understanding of what the Three Sisters is. I am pretty well following as decribed there.
my space is 15' x 12.5' - just barely larger than the recommended minimum. I leveled out some fairly marginal soil for the growing area, then built mounds with a 50/50 mix of the same marginal soil and composted steer manure. I jumped the gun a bit on the squash and beans, I planted them when the corn was 2 inches tall. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for that.

Here is a picture of (most of) the garden. I didn't measure precisely, and I just stepped of the distance between each mound. No, I was not intoxicated when I did it.

Here is a close up of one mound. You can see the little baby Corn just sticking up. You are supposed to wait until those are 3-4 inches tall before you plant the beans. I didn't. Hopefully the Corn will keep up. If not. I will learn from it and be more patient next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment