Monday, May 22, 2023

Journal Entry 22 May 2023

 A random journal entry, which after some deliberation, I have decided to share publicly...


I have recently found myself spending considerable time reflecting; trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, among other things. I suppose fifty-three is a reasonable age for such thoughts.

 For decades now, I have had as my life’s mission to “Build toys and make people happy.”

I was never specific about what those toys were. Nor did I exclude useful tools from that classification. And “Make people happy” can range from simply delighting or entertaining, to improving quality of life.

The first career choice I remember having as a child was “Space explorer”, (like Buck Rogers), or some sort of “Rescue Hero” (A-Team, Knight Rider, The Bionic Man…)

I have been told that prior to those, I had designs of being a wealthy farmer, though I abandoned that when I was told that I should serve a mission first, and that would put me over 20 years old which, I considered “Over the hill” at that time.

Somewhere in elementary school, I vacillated between an array of options in the entertainment industry; actor, dancer, musician… I believe this was driven by a desire for fame – a need to be admired, adored. Also, I had the chance to interact a few people who were amateurs or low-level professionals, and they were all very admirable people; kind, happy, pleasant, likeable… I wanted to emulate them.

In high school, spurred perhaps by Air-wolf and The Equalizer (The series from the 80’s), I think I was still leaning toward “Rescue hero” And had designs on entering the military - Air Force or Army (for helicopter piloting) – to begin my training for such an endeavor.

This ambition shifted to engineering sometime during my missionary service – thought still with some thoughts of piloting lurking in the background. My aim was aerospace engineering, but an aerospace engineer I met while in Florida encouraged me to consider mechanical engineering instead, as it would provide greater career flexibility.

I began my university career in Mechanical Engineering, but for one reason or another allowed chemistry to intimidate me. I then couldn’t make up my mind between Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, so pursued both, and after five years schooling was roughly a year away from a degree in either.

Then an unusual illness struck (Probably a physical manifestation of Anxiety/Depression caused by my undiagnosed ADHD brain, and an environment which was not ADHD friendly) forcing me to abandon school and take up a job.

I spent the next many years working in IT – Which allowed me to occasionally build systems, which made people’s jobs easier, so… pretty good fit for my mission statement.

During that time, I managed to return to the university and complete a newer degree offering – Computer Engineering. I was well established in my IT career at that point, so no drastic changes came from the degree.

My combination of IT and Engineering placed me in a unique position to bridge the gap between our company’s IT and Automation Engineering teams – teams which historically butt heads. I began to focus on a more recent discipline – OT, or Operational Technology. OT has similarities to IT, but priorities are changed to accommodate the unique requirements of systems which interact with the physical environment. (for example: IT’s top priority is to protect data – they will happily delay network traffic to inspect it for malware, stolen intellectual property, etc… In the OT world, where we are concerned about controlling a machine to prevent loss of product or worse, loss of human life, this delay of traffic is unacceptable).

I have enjoyed this work. It is challenging, engaging, technically interesting, and again, ticks both items in my long-standing mission statement.

In recent years, I have made a slight modification to my mission statement, as I have come to recognize more accurately what my passions are. It is now a set of words:

Creation – whether woodworking, writing, gardening, software coding, or machine building. I take great joy in making things.

Discovery – I love learning. My hobby has been collecting hobbies.

Sharing – While as an INFJ/P personality, it doesn’t necessarily come easily or naturally for me, I do enjoy learning from others, and I enjoy teaching others the things I have learned.

Delight – I love to use my talents to make other people’s lives easier, or more enjoyable. I am an obsessive problem solver, especially technical problems, I have been known to latch onto a particularly troublesome problem and work it all day, non-stop (another ADHD characteristic). Relatedly, I am not a fan of conflict, and quite unconsciously seek ways to resolve conflict, ideally with a win-win solution (again – INFP/J personality, so this characteristic doesn’t always shine through, but it is deeply embedded in me nonetheless).

My career has been reasonably well aligned with these, though the corporate world has never been kind to my INFP/J – ADHD brain, and therefore delight is an all too infrequent visitor, whose presence is overshadowed by the nearly always present discouragement, despair and dejection (perhaps my experience is not so unique, but if so, shouldn’t we—collectively—stop doing what we are doing, and try something different?).

Recently I have come to the realization that authoring also ticks all those boxes. I have greatly enjoyed it, even though at present, it must occupy those few minutes when I am not buried in work-related things (which my job has never, ever been even remotely close to a nine-to-five. I had a couple of weeks under GE during which I worked in excess of 120 hours, to keep the local business running).

However, while my corporate career has been devastating to my physical and mental well-being, it has consistently kept my family housed and fed. It has also helped compensate for the effects of the “ADHD Tax” (Just recently learned that one- I can see it in play in my life. Perhaps I will elaborate on that in a later post).

On the other hand, to date, I have invested roughly $6k on my authoring efforts (ignoring my considerable time investment; that is actual monetary investment in editing, publishing and advertising), and have seen just over $100 return.

I realize a certain monetary and time investment is required for any such venture, so it is what it is. The question of course is who much do you invest? At what point should you cut your losses and “keep your day job” so to speak?

Of course, I could find ways to cut costs, I could eliminate editors, create my covers more cheaply, and learn the tools to publish directly, but that introduces its own set of risks, with respect to quality of the final product. (Besides, I am quite fond of the people I worked with, and I want to continue to work with them and support their business as well).

And then there is the question: Do I actually have enough material in me to make a viable run at authoring?

I have a few ideas floating around, which I have been writing bits as they come to me, and which I believe could both become multi-book series:

One is a pre-apocalyptic/conspiracy theory idea – which I know I would have to be very careful in writing, as I want to use real events, starting roughly two decades back to weave a tale of intrigue and deception, of competing secret societies, shadow governments, and a battle to build utopia amid a backdrop of chaos and corruption. This story would be one in which Jessica and her friends would likely play a role. The tricky part will be heavy incorporation of real events and people in “what-if” scenarios, in a way that doesn’t expose me to defamation lawsuits. Not sure if just using different names would be sufficient.

The other is a fantasy (with perhaps hints of sci-fi and horror), set on a unique world, devasted by the wars of past deities and sorcerers, filled with its own political intrigues and apocalyptic possibilities.

I have toyed with a bit of philosophy as well – have a fair bit of material I thought to publish as “The Geeks Guide to Success”. And of course, the series I am presently posting on “The Art of Reasoning” could possibly be a candidate for publishing…

But, is there an audience of sufficient size, and can I find them? Is such an endeavor practical at this point, while still finding time for care and feeding of my (admittedly dwindling – kids grow up and move out…) family?

I have been lurking in a few independent author chat groups, and I see some success stories, but too often it seems those come by compromising their values in order to appeal to the available audience (i.e. formulaic writing vs. personal passion), or through reaching and attracting a large audience through sheer charisma and charm. I lack the pretty face or adorable accent for the latter, and I think the former would suck the joy out of it for me.

There is also a strategy of building a base of subscribers, and utilizing them as a resource ( patreon or similar ). I believe the idea is to release regular newsletters to them, (what would I write), or provide early access to content. I struggle with that. For myself, I want to read the whole story – start to finish – getting an early peak at what may or may not be the final story would take from that experience. But, maybe that is just me…

Much to consider…

For now, I have “Nicholas” with the editor, and I anticipate publishing it before the end of this year. I will continue to write ideas for my other stories as they come to me, and as time permits. And… we’ll see what the next year brings I suppose…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment