Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Health blog update, 1 Feb 2012

I have been "med free" for 1 1/2 weeks now.  I took a bad turn day before yesterday. Nausea and abdominal pain. Problem is, a couple of the kids are just getting over a mild stomach bug, so I am unsure if my problems are my problems running wild without medication to stop them, or if they are primarily due to the stomach bug. One of the big challenges in any scientific endeavor is variable isolation.

I have been waffling between succumbing to the panic and re-starting the meds, and waiting a few more days to be sure, the risk of course being it really is my intestines falling apart. Can't say the thought of having bits surgically removed is one I get excited about.

I have not had the joint pain since I stopped, nor have I had the kidney pain. I have had some muscle pain, in conjunction with the problems the past few days, including some in my back focused around my kidneys (but a completely different kind of pain than I was having while taking the Entecort). It is my thought that these may be primarily induced by the abdominal pain I am having. It seems to be tapering off today, so fingers crossed. If I am not free and clear by Friday, I will end up talking to the GI, and probably flipping a coin for going back to the Entecort, or switching to Pentasa.

I went to see an alternative medicine practitioner (I may end up writing a sermon on that subject) yesterday. Her analysis leads her to think that my problem may originating in the small intestine. As a result, I have added Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth to my list of possible alternatives to consider. She also thought it might be worth considering intestinal parasites, though she didn't think it was very likely. When was the last time you found yourself hoping it was a parasite? I gotta say, right now, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment